MotivationWatch a movie about teaching, such as “Freedom Writers”, “Dead Poet’s Society”, “Lean on Me”, or “Stand and Deliver”. The following are clips for each movie to help you decide which movie you would like to watch:
- Freedom Writers. (Links to an external site.)
- Dead Poet’s Society (Links to an external site.).
- Lean On Me (Links to an external site.).
- Stand And Deliver (Links to an external site.).
Then answer the following questions:
- Summarize the movie you selected to watch and discuss ways in which the teacher motivated his/her students. Using Chapter 8 of our text, describe the motivational theory employed for each of the strategies you listed.
- How did satisfying Maslow’s hierarchy of needs impact student learning in your selected movie?
- How did the teacher in your selected movie display characteristics of a humanistic teacher? Be specific by providing examples and connecting your response to the text.
- Describe the ideal learning environment for you and explain how it will increase your motivation and ability to learn. What obstacles would hinder the creation of your ideal learning environment?
- LeFrançois, G. R. (2018). Psychology for teaching (2nd ed.). Retrieved from https://content.ashford.edu
- Chapter Seven: Memory and Individualized Instruction
- Chapter Eight: Humanistic Education and Motivation
- Education Elements. (2012). The fundamentals of blended learning (Links to an external site.) [Video file] Retrieved from http://vimeopro.com/edelements/education-elements/video/29536658
- Khan, S. [edutopia]. (2012, December 18th). Salman Khan describes future classrooms with blended learning. (Links to an external site.) [Video file].
Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwyOv7PiC40&feature=youtu.be