In Chapter 9, you read about four criteria that need to be met in order for contact between hostile groups to decrease prejudices. In this assignment, you will reflect on these criteria and develop a program to reduce prejudice. Compose an essay that includes the following components:
- an explanation of how one’s tendency to perceive others using either the halo effect or the fundamental attribution error could contribute to developing prejudices,
- a description of the four criteria used to reduce prejudice, and
- a discussion of the two criteria that you think are most important and why.
You must also access the CSU Online Library to find a peer-reviewed empirical article that provides supporting evidence for at least one of the two criteria you selected as most important above. In the library database PsycARTICLES, put your search criteria in the Advanced Search, and then limit to the Research Methodology of Empirical Study. These specific kinds of studies are also located in peer-reviewed scholarly journals.
After providing a brief overview of the article’s main findings, address the following points.
- Describe a prejudice reduction program you could implement based on the two criteria that you previously selected as most important.
- Explain why you believe this program will be effective by drawing on research concerning prejudice and discrimination.
- Discuss how the program would be implemented. Be specific in who would be targeted, where this program would take place, and how you see the program being executed.
Your response should be at least two pages in length. You must use at least two sources as references for your paper, and at least one source must come from the CSU Online Library. All sources used, including the textbook, must be referenced, and paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying citations. Please format your paper and all citations in accordance with APA guidelines.