Discussion: Assessing Addiction and Models of Addiction Treatment
As a helping professional, identifying and applying appropriate assessment approaches to client treatment is essential to the treatments of addiction. After assessing clients with addiction problems, helping professionals must use and apply a treatment model to address the addiction. Identifying the right treatment model will be critical. The goal of any treatment program or approach is to stop abnormal, destructive addictive processes and replace them with healthy, constructive processes. There are many approaches available, but during the last 50 years, the Minnesota Model has dominated the field. It was the first formal approach to the treatment of any addiction and is now used to treat an array of chemical or behavioral addictions.
Although the Minnesota Model approach to treatment is still one of the most well-known and common treatment approaches, there are many other approaches found in the field. As a helping professional, you need to be acquainted with many treatment approaches as well as being familiar with trends in the assessment of addiction.
Provide a 300-word discussion Post which contains the following content, topics, and headings:
– Two assessment approaches for assessing an individual’s addiction and explain why they are effective.
– Next, explain one model to addiction treatment and explain why it may be effective in treating addiction.
– Support your response using the Learning Resources and the current literature.
– Must contain at least 3 references and citations from the following materials:
Note: To access this week’s required library resources, please click on the link to the Course Readings List, found in the Course Materials section of your Syllabus.
Doweiko, H. E. (2019). Concepts of chemical dependency (10th ed.). Stamford, CT: Cengage.
· Chapter 28, “The Assessment of Suspected Substance Use Disorders” (pp. 389-404)
· Chapter 31, “The Treatment of Substance Use Disorders” (pp. 424-436)